To configure your Allen & Heath desk for use with an external FX processor carry out the following steps.
- Connect an Aux* output to the mono or left input of your external FX processor.
- Connect the stereo LR returns from your FX processor to a stereo channel on your desk, alternatively use two mono channels (panned hard left/right).
- Use the channel send pots for the Aux in step 1 to feed dry signals to the FX processor, the processed signal will be returned to the inputs in step 2.
- Make sure any Aux master pots and channel input faders are turned up to allow the signal to pass.
* Where possible use a post-fade Aux. This will ensure the channel send stays relative to the fader position.
This process is called send and return and is typically used for time-based FX such as Reverb and Delay where you want to blend the FX with the original channel. If you want the FX processor to affect 100% of the audio then you might consider using your FX processor as an insert. This is preferable for FX like flange and chorus.